Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms (Just like Chicken Wings!Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
Who used to love crispy chicken wings before going vegan? And who is, at the same time, trying to stay healthy and fit?
No problem at all, I got you all covered today!
These super crispy air fried oyster mushrooms are the perfect recipe for those who love a treat but don’t want to feel super guilty about it!
They are first coated in a vegan buttermilk and a spiced crumbs, then simply air fried to achieve a very crispy texture that will absolutely amaze you!
I promise you will love this recipe, a dish that pretty much all people can enjoy as not only it is 100% plant based, but it’s also gluten free!
It’s a well balanced recipe that can be the star of the table, served as a main, a very yummy side or even a nice starter!
However you decide to serve it, make sure you make plenty as it will disappear from the table in a matter of seconds!
How to Make Air Fried Mushrooms
Mushrooms are really good friends to us vegans, as they have that superb meaty-like texture and intense flavour that make them so versatile and indeed a perfect meat substitute.
Making this version of deep fried chicken that is both vegan and light cannot be easier my friends.
All you need is:
– Oyster Mushrooms – the star of the show; you can find it easily in Asian shops in the UK or in both off licence and large supermarkets.
– Plant Milk – I adore using soy but if you cannot consume soy products you can easily substitute it with the milk you normally consume, as long as it’s unsweetened and unflavoured (last thing we want is to have our mushrooms with an aftertaste of vanilla, lol!)
– Corn Flakes – just make sure they’re vegan and 100% gluten free (if you’re on a GF diet). We need to crumble the flakes in a food processor to a bread crumbs-like texture. And this will be our coating for the mushrooms.
– Vinegar (or Lemon Juice) – to make our vegan buttermilk. The acidity of the vinegar will curdle the milk and thicken it. That’s exactly what we need to soak our mushrooms in.
– Rice Flour (or any GF mix) – to form a batter with the buttermilk that will marvellously coat the mushrooms.
– Bicarbonate of Soda – to go into the crumb mix. It will react with the buttermilk allowing our batter to puff up during baking.
– Spices – to simply flavour the corn flakes crumbs.
First step is to make the vegan buttermilk.
To do so we simply have to measure the milk and stir in the vinegar. That’s it. We can set aside the mixture for 10 minutes and let the chemistry do the work.
In the meantime we can blend the cornflakes into bread crumbs. Add the soda bicarbonate and mix of spices, and set aside.
In a bowl measure the flour, then add a bit of the vegan buttermilk at a time until well combined and lump-free. That’s our buttermilk batter sorted.
Add the oyster mushrooms simply cleaned with a damp cloth to the batter, coat them well and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the mixture.
Take one mushroom out and coat it well into the corn flakes mixture, then arrange it in the air fryer slightly oiled.
Continue until all mushrooms are coated (it may require a couple of baking rounds, depending on the size of your air fryer) and place in the air fryer making sure to form only one layer of mushrooms. It is very important not to overlap the mushrooms in order to have the perfect outcome, so keep that in mind!
Cook for 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F) turning the mushrooms at half time.
Repeat the previous steps with all the mushrooms left.
Before serving, just pop all the mushrooms back in the air fryer for a couple of minutes so they’re all hot and crispy.
Enjoy with your favourite dipping sauces 🙂
Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms (Just like Chicken Wings!)
300 g Oyster Mushrooms
250 g Plant Based Milk (Soy)
50 g Rice Flour
25 g Corn Flakes (1 cup)
1 tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp Soda Bicarbonate
…mix of spices…
1/2 tbsp Paprika
1/2 tbsp Chicken Seasoning
1/2 tbsp Celery Salt
2 tsp Garlic Granules
1 tsp Chili Flakes
1 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Sage
1/2 tsp Thyme
1. Make the vegan buttermilk by combining plant based milk and vinegar. Stir well and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Blend the cornflakes into bread crumbs texture. Add soda bicarbonate and mix of spices, then set aside.
3. In a bowl measure the flour, then add a bit of the vegan buttermilk at a time until well combined and lump-free.
4. Add the oyster mushrooms simply cleaned with a damp cloth to the batter, coat them well and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the buttermilk mixture.
5. Take one mushroom out and coat it well into the corn flakes mixture, then arrange it in the air fryer slightly oiled.
6. Continue until you have formed one layer of mushrooms in the air fryer.
7. Cook for 15 minutes at 180°C (350°F) turning the mushrooms at half time.
8. Repeat the previous steps with all the mushrooms left.
9. Before serving, just pop all the mushrooms back in the air fryer for a couple of minutes so they’re all hot and crispy.
10. Enjoy the air fried oyster mushrooms with your favourite dipping sauces 🙂
Did you like this recipe? Make sure to leave me a comment and to SUBSCRIBE to the mail list to always be up to date with the brand new recipes I post on this blog 🙂
Also don’t forget to follow and support @avegtastefromatoz on Instagram or Facebook!
For other “meaty” and tasty ideas make sure to check these Vegan Cauliflower Hot Wings, these Tofu “Ribs” with homemade BBQ Sauce, these Seitan Buffalo Wings or these Easy Tofu Puff Skewers.