stuffed aubergine parmigiana Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano.
Today I have a delicious treat for you, made with probabily my favorite veggie: Mrs Aubergine (aka, Eggplant for the Americans out there!). stuffed aubergine parmigiana
The other day I was craving Parmigiana, although since I’m trying to watch my weight I came up with a delicious guilt-free version.
It tastes amazing and instead of arranging aubergine slices in layers I decided to remove their pupl, cube it, sauté with herbs and spices, add some chopped tomatoes, pesto and stuff the aubergine cylinders with this super tasty gorgousness!
In order to improve their tastyness and to add up a bunch of more nutrients I also added some fresh cashew mozzarella (I will soon post my own recipe, although the web is already plenty with very good mozzarella recipes for you to browse!) and sprinkled some vegan parmesan on top too before baking them.
If you don’t have time to make your own mozzarella, don’t worry! Your favorite store bought one will also do!
The result are these mouthwatering and low cal melt-in-the-mouth stuffed aubergines with a crunchy skin and a rich tomatoey filling. stuffed aubergine parmigiana
You read that right! This is a recipe very low in calories. In fact, considering the ingredients I used every 1/2 stuffed aubergine contains only 240 kcal and 7 whole grams of proteins!
And last but not least, this recipe is best served both warm or at room temperature (I personally like it even chilled, and I’m aware that people think I’m crazy for liking chilled veggies, especcially lentils! …Oh yeah, chilled boiled lentils, one of my favorite comfort food! Yep, I guess I’m a bit of a freak of nature!……………………………………………………No seriously! Am I the only one in the world that preferes fridge cold cooked veggies instead of freshly cooked and yet still warm? I refuse to think that! LOL!).
Anyway if you, like me, adore aubergines I highly suggest you to try this Lebanese Moussaka, or this Aubergine and “Feta” Pie, this Pulled BBQ Aubergine (following picture) perfect in mouthwatering burgers, and of course the traditional Aubergine Parmigiana.
And if you make this recipe and decide to share it on Instagram or Facebook, don’t forget to tag me for a shoutout -> @avegtastefromatoz or #aVegTasteFromAtoZ and because I’d love to see your personal takes on my recipes🙂
Now I leave you to the recipe, and in order to help you replicate it even easily I made a video for you that you can find at the bottom of the page or just by clicking here!
Hope you enjoy!
Easy Stuffed Aubergine Parmigiana Recipe
1 can Chopped Tomatoes
1 Vegan Mozzarella (100-150 gr)
4-5 Garlic Cloves
3 tbsp Tomato Paste
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp Vegan Pesto
1 tbsp Vegan Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Chili Flakes
1 tsp Oregano
1. Preheat the oven at 180° C (350°F).
2. Wash the aubergine, remove both ends and cut in halves.
3. Carefully carve the pulp of each aubergine piece leaving roughly 1 cm from the skin.
4. Place the carved cylinder in a tray, add some crashed garlic cloves, season with 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. In the meantime chop the pulp into cubes. Set aside.
6. In a pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil, then add grated garlic (1-2 cloves) and chili flakes.
7. Add the aubgergine cubes, season with salt and pepper, then add half of the chopped tomatoes and the oregano. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes. Note: if the aubergine cubes are too dry add some water to keep them juicy, a bit at a time.
8. Also add the tomato paste and keep cooking until the aubergine are tender (keep adding extra water if required).
9. If you’re using a homemade mozzarella bowl chop it into cubes and add it to the aubergine mixture.
10. Now it’s time to add the pesto and to combine everything together.
11. Take the tray with the aubergine cylinders and scoop in 2-3 tablespoons of filling. Top with the remaining chopped tomatoes, finish with some grated vegan parmesan and bake for 20 more minutes before seving.