Vegan Eggs and Soldiers
This vegan version of eggs and soldiers I am sure will bring back fond memories of your childhood. Delicious oozy runny yolk that is a perfect plant based treat for children and adults alike.
Whenever we think of our favourite childhood memories they are often those with our grandparents, and one of my absolute favourites is of my grandmother preparing me a boiled egg and light fluffy buttered bread cut into finger sized pieces we called soldiers to dip into a perfectly boiled egg.
The oozy runny yolk that deliciously coats the bread was just the most wonderful treat.
The egg whites were never my favourite part but the yolk I loved, so I would save to the side an egg dipped soldier, covered in gooey yolk to be savoured after I had finished the white, so that my final taste was perfect.
The beauty of this recipe is that it replicates the perfect egg yolk without the white. Of course if you liked the white part there was nothing wrong with that but it does allow us to focus solely on the yolk here which makes this recipe fast and easy, two very important factors in modern cooking, with the hectic lifestyles many of us have.
While I wont say this recipe is super healthy, it does have 0% cholesterol something eggs pack an absolute punch of and not something we need excessive amounts of, since our bodies produce naturally what we need.
You will be amazed at how easy this recipe is: 3 steps, that’s right just 3 and you have the perfect vegan egg yolk that I am sure you will love and be amazed is in fact vegan.
Most of these ingredients you will probably have already in your cupboards. Black salt the most likely that you do not can be bought here and is not at all expensive.
Presenting you this recipe was inspired by my husband who adores this even more than me. For me the memory of my grandmother Rosa is why I love this dish, the memory of her offering me her yolk in exchange for my white. Whereas for my husband it is the gluttony of the oozy yolk that I am sure he could drink as easily as he does his cup of tea.
A dish beloved by English children and I am sure in many other countries around the world.
I am positive you will be adding this vegan egg yolk to your common recipe lists.
How to Prepare Vegan Eggs and Soldiers (or Vegan Egg Yolk)
The result will have the consistency of a runny-ish custard, that will remind of lightly cooked egg yolks.
Vegan Eggs and Soldiers Recipe
240 ml Water
27 ml Vegetable Oil
12 g Cornstarch
3 g Nutritional Yeast
1 g Black Salt
0.5 g Yellow food Colouring or 1 g of Turmeric (Turmeric will change the flavour profile and may not give the perfect result)
1. Add the yeast, cornstarch and colouring all into a pan. Gently start whisking in the oil and then the water, making sure to stir firmly and consistently all around the pan to ensure there are no lumps or patches of dry ingredients left.
2. Bring to a boil on a low heat until the mixture thickens slightly and has a slow gentle boil.
3. Transfer to small glass ramekins or even egg cups to serve with lightly toasted and buttered bread for the perfect vegan treat.
Vegan Eggs and Soldiers
- Add the yeast, cornstarch and colouring all into a pan. Gently start whisking in the oil and then the water, making sure to stir firmly and consistently all around the pan to ensure there are no lumps or patches of dry ingredients left.
- Bring to a boil on a low heat until the mixture thickens slightly and has a slow gentle boil.
- Transfer to small glass ramekins or even egg cups to serve with lightly toasted and buttered bread for the perfect vegan treat.