These homemade baked beans taste exactly like the ones we grew up with, except they are healthier and also easy to make from scratch!
1. Soak the beans overnight then boil in abundant water for approx 1 hour (up to 1:30 for softer beans).
2. Once the beans are cooked make sure to drain them saving their cooking water. For 1 cup of dry beans we are going to need 400 ml of water.
3. Combine the measured water with ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, aminos (or the substitute you've picked), garlic & onion powder, salt and black pepper.
Stir well then add the beans back in.
4. Simmer the beans for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Mix the corn slurry (cornstarch + water) to the bean pot cook on medium heat for 3 minutes (or until it thickens).
6. Enjoy your baked beans straight away.