Spiced Potato Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano.
Today I’ve got for you an Indian-inspired warm & cosy curry, incredibly filling and nutritious.
This is a family favourite dish. Although we enjoy this spiced potato curry especially during autumn/winter with naan bread or fragrant rice (for our gluten-free guests), this recipe is also perfect for summer or spring, as it’s delicious even cold or at room temperature.
It requires very low effor and just a bunch of ingredients, that I’m sure everyone of you already have at hand:
- humble potatoes: with their creamy and conforting texture rich in potassium, antioxidants and vitamins.
- chickpeas: canned or home cooked for a boost of proteins and iron.
- spinach: source of fibers, calcium, iron and plenty of vitamins.
- spices: the natural “medicine”.
First we need to prep the veggies:
Onion and potato need to be chopped/cubed – garlic and chilli need to be grated or finely chopped.
Next we sauté the onion with chili, garlic and spices with some vegetable oil (or vegetable broth if oil free).
Then cubed potatoes (I left the skin on on mine for extra goodness) go in and sauté for a few minutes until slighly charred.
Next it’s time to add the chickpeas and the tomato puré. Let’s give it a stir first, then allow to absorbe all the flavours for a few minutes before adding up the vegetable broth/water.
Lid on, lower the heat and all we need to do at this stage is to wait 20 minutes for the magic to happen.
After as little as 20 minutes we will notice that our water will be mostly absorbed and the potato have turned into soft and gorgeous. I will just let you imagine how good is the smell at this point.
Last up: spinach.
Before serving we will be stirring in the fresh spinachs and cook alltogether for as little as two extra minutes.
Our spiced potato curry with spinach and chickpeas is now ready to be enjoyed.
This dish is perfect with naans, learn here how to make dairy free naans!
Calories and goodness intake
Spiced Potato Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas Recipe
2 Potatoes (350-400g)
1 can Chickpeas
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil (optional)
3 cup Spinach (100g)
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Chili Pepper(inc. seeds if you like hot)*
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1 tbsp Turmeric
1 1/2 tbsp Curry Powder (Mild)
1 tbsp Tomato Puré
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Paprika
*I’ve used a mild red chili (SHU: 1500-2000) – feel free to use the amount you like according to taste.
1. Finely chop the onion and sauté in vegetable oil with grated garlic, chopped chili, bay leaves, ground coriander, curry powder and turmeric.
2. Cube the potatoes to equal size pieces and add to the pan.
3. Add chickpeas and tomato puré once the potatoes start to brown.
4. After a few minutes add boiling water (enough to nearly cover the veggies) and salt, cover with the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaves and stir in the spinach. Cook for only 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve with naan bread or fragrant rice.