Vegan Egg & Cress Sandwich
Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
Our vegan egg and cress sandwich is a simple affair, and it’s delicious too. The flavors speak for themselves, from the creamy vegan egg to the fresh cress.
The egg and cress sandwich is an understated hero of British food. It’s simple, fresh, tasty, and really easy to throw together with things that you’ve probably already got in your kitchen. Perfect!
If you wanted to add a little hit of something extra to these sandwiches, we’d recommend rooting through your cupboards to see if you can track down a pickle or two. Whether it’s a spreadable pickle like Branston’s or something like pickled cabbage or onions, it could add a really interesting new dimension to this sandwich. We’d love to see the sandwich with one or two slices of pickled onion in it – we’re sure it would be divine!
How To Make Vegan Egg & Cress Sandwich
First things first, you’ll need to make the vegan scrambled eggs according to this recipe. It’s a really simple recipe, and it’s one that I’ve had a lot of compliments on over the time since I made it – give it a go! Once you’ve made the vegan scrambled eggs, let them cool completely to room temperature.
Next, finely chop the onion, if you’re using it, and combine it with half of the cress. You can use the remaining cress for decoration, or use all of it in the mix – the choice is yours. To that combination, add the vegan mayo and the scrambled eggs. This is the filling for a sandwich, so give it a taste now for seasoning and adjust if you’d like.
The amounts listed in this article are enough for four sandwiches, so spread the filling over four pieces of bread, a quarter of the mixture per slice of bread. That’s a funny thing to have to explain, but we’re sure you got it.
After you’ve spread the filling, season each sandwich half with salt and pepper, before arranging the cucumber slices on top. I like to cut the cucumber into ribbons and roll them into cylinders for the look and the texture, but if you’d rather go for simple slices, you feel free!
Coat the remaining four slices of bread with a thin layer of vegan mayo, and then place the bread onto the topped half.
Then, cut the sandwiches however you might like and enjoy them straight away! We love to serve these as part of a vegan afternoon tea if we’re trying to be fancy, so go ahead and cut the sandwiches into fingers if you’d like.
Vegan Egg & Cress Sandwich Recipe
1 dose Vegan Scrambled Eggs
¼ cup Vegan Mayo (60g)
½ Red Onion (optional)
16 Cucumber Ribbons (or slices – cut sandwich size)
1 Pot Cress Salad
8 Bread Slices
1. Prepare the egg scramble according to this recipe and let it cool at room temperature.
2. Finely chop the onion if you’re using it and combine with half of the cress (use the remaining for decoration, or use it all in the mix), the vegan mayo and the tofu scramble.
3. Spread ¼ of the mixture onto 4 sandwich slices, season each half with salt and pepper and arrange the cucumber slices on top.
4. Coat the remaining 4 slices of bread with a thin layer of mayo and put it on top of the filled half.
5. Cut in 2 or more portions (if you’re serving this in your afternoon tea spread) and enjoy straight away.
Vegan Egg & Cress Sandwich
- 1 dose Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- ¼ cup Vegan Mayo 60g
- ½ Red Onion optional
- 16 Cucumber Ribbons or slices - cut sandwich size
- 1 Pot Cress Salad
- 8 Bread Slices
- Prepare the egg scramble according to this recipe and let it cool at room temperature.
- Finely chop the onion if you’re using it and combine with half of the cress (use the remaining for decoration, or use it all in the mix), the vegan mayo and the tofu scramble.
- Spread ¼ of the mixture onto 4 sandwich slices, season each half with salt and pepper and arrange the cucumber slices on top.
- Coat the remaining 4 slices of bread with a thin layer of mayo and put it on top of the filled half.
- Cut in 2 or more portions (if you’re serving this in your afternoon tea spread) and enjoy straight away.
Looking for other healthy vegan recipes? You might find interesting the followings:
– Italian Style Cucumber Salad
– Chickpea and Black Bean Salad
– Italian Style Potato Salad
– Light Coleslaw Salad
– Vegan Russian Salad
– Rich and Refreshing Quinoa Salad
– Borlotti and Sundried Tomato Salad
– One Pot Quinoa & Lentil Rainbow Bowl
OH they’re sooooo loverly !!!! Beautiful !
Thank you very much!