Chickpea and Black Bean Salad Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
This Chickpea and Black Bean Salad is rich, refreshing, colorful and packed with proteins and nutrients; a perfect dish that keeps you full thanks to its high fiber content!
You might already know that eating a high-fiber diet will have you feeling fuller longer, and that’s the key to those that want to meet their weight-loss goals.
Moreover, this Chickpea and Black Bean salad is a healthy, whole food plant based meal (WFPB) that is packed with proteins, vitamins and minerals, thanks to the addition to an array of raw colourful vegetables that will also bring different textures and an interesting flavour profile.
How to Make this Chickpea and Black Bean Salad
Chickpeas are the same as garbanzo beans and can be used interchangeably in this recipe. You can use canned ones for a quick fix or homecooked chickpeas (for which a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot comes very handy).
Black beans: As per the chickpeas they can be canned or boiled at home. They can also be swapped for red kidney beans if you prefer.
Veggies: Chop your veggies into bite sized pieces and toss with both the beans and the dressing. I like picking at least one vegetable of each colour, but you are free to use your favourites or what you have available.
Oregano: This is my personal favourite herb to use in this salad combo. Dry oregano is more flavourful than the fresh one; it gives character and packs a nice punch to this refreshing salad.
Salad Dressing/Vinaigrette: For the dressing in this recipe I used both Olive oil and the juices of Lemons and Limes, as well as a pinch of Salt and Pepper. I combine all of the liquid ingredients in a mason jar and give it a shake.
Why not try it with vegan feta? Adding dairy free feta substitutes to this salad would make a nice tangy variation. Just season with less salt as the vegan feta can be quite salty.
Uses of Chickpea and Black Bean Salad
This gorgeous salad can be enjoyed by itself or mixed in with some couscous, quinoa or pasta for a complete meal to enjoy outdoors or as a lunch break.
Alternatively you can use it as a filling to corn tacos or salad wraps.
Chickpea and Black Bean Salad Recipe
250 g Chickpeas (cooked; 1 400g/15oz can, drained)
250 g Black Beans (cooked; 400g/15oz can, drained)
100 g Cooked Beetroot (steamed, roasted or jarred)
3 Salad Tomatoes
1 Red Onion
1 Yellow Pepper
1/2 British Cucumber (deseeded)
1/4 Romaine Lettuce
…for the dressing…
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Lemon (juice; around 2 tbsp)
1 Lime (juice; around 1 tbsp)
1.5 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1. Drain the chickpeas and the black beans, rinse well under the water and add to a bowl.
2. Chop all the veggies into bite sized pieces and add to the bowl along with the beans.
3. Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar and shake well until the liquid turns opaque.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until the vinaigrette is equally distributed.
5. Serve straight away.
Notes: if you’re planning to prepare this salad in advance I’d recommend to keep the dressing separate and to chop and add the tomatoes and the beetroots moments before serving as the first easily turn too mushy when chopped to much in advance, and the beets would stain the salad pink.
Chickpea and Black Bean Salad
- 250 g (1.5 cups) Chickpeas cooked; 1 400g/15oz can, drained
- 250 g (1.5 cups) Black Beans cooked; 400g/15oz can, drained
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Cooked Beetroot steamed, roasted or jarred
- 3 Salad Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1/2 British Cucumber deseeded
- 1/4 Romaine Lettuce
- Drain the chickpeas and the black beans, rinse well under the water and add to a bowl.
- Chop all the veggies into bite sized pieces and add to the bowl along with the beans.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a mason jar and shake well until the liquid turns opaque.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until the vinaigrette is equally distributed.
- Serve straight away.
Looking for other healthy salad recipes? You might find interesting the followings:
– Italian Style Potato Salad
– Light Coleslaw Salad
– Vegan Russian Salad
– Rich and Refreshing Quinoa Salad
– Borlotti and Sundried Tomato Salad
– One Pot Quinoa & Lentil Rainbow Bowl