Air Fried Vegan Pakora
These air fried vegan pakora are:
If you like Indian food, you’re gonna love these!
Perfect for any meal, these aromatic vegetable pakoras are exactly what you need to treat yourself with an explosion of flavours.
If you own an air fryer there’s no much more I can say to you to make it love more: you already know!
If you don’t have an air fryer yet…well you’re missing out!
I too was skeptical at first and I really didn’t get what was the fuss about until I eventually tried myself. GAME FREAKING CHANGER!
Not only food tastes as good as deep fried, but it is also ready in less time and without the mess!
If you however, do not have an air fryer and you’re not planning to buy one, you can still make these beautiful pakoras both in the oven or deep fried. I’ll tell you exactly how, just keep reading.
How to make Air Fried Vegan Pakora
As mentioned, making these fluffy bites of goodness cannot be easier!
First thing we have to slice our veggies. For this recipe I’ve chosen courgette, onion and sweet potato, but you are free to use whatever vegetable you like or you have available. Consistency might change, but I assure you the flavour will still be there.
I’d recommend to finely slice (or julienne, if you like) the onions and courgette, while you can just mash the sweet potato that will also work as a binder of our pakoras.
Next I like to remove some of the vegetation water from the veggies to provide a crispier bite.
To do so, simply sprinkle some sea salt over the sliced greens, toss well and forget about them for a while (from as little as 5 minutes up to half an hour). Then just squeeze the veggies in your hands to get rid of the water.
Add the spices and the chickpea flour to the veggies, squeeze again with the hands so they can absorb the flavour then form the pakoras.
Arrange in the air fryer basket, previously slightly oiled to prevent them sticking, and cook for 15-20 minutes, depending on their size, flipping the pakora half way.
Alternatively you can cook these vegan pakora in the oven for 25 minutes, turning them half way through, or deep fry in abundant vegetable oil until crispy and golden.
Are you ready to give these air fried vegan pakora a try? I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!
Did you like this recipe? Make sure to leave me a comment and to SUBSCRIBE to the mail list to always be up to date with the brand new recipes I post on this blog 🙂
Also don’t forget to follow and support @avegtastefromatoz on Instagram or Facebook!
For other food inspo you can make in the air fryer check these:
– Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms
– Vegan Cauliflower Hot Wings
– Tofu “Ribs” with homemade BBQ Sauce
– Seitan Buffalo Wings
– Easy Tofu Puff Skewers
– Banana Blossom Fish Cakes
If you would like to make this recipe another time PIN this for later!
Air Fried Vegan Pakora
1 Red Onion
1-2 Sweet Potato (150g)
20 g Chickpea Flour
1 tsp Curry Powder
1/2 tsp Nigella Seeds (+ more to garnish)
1 pinch Ginger Powder
1 pinch Chili Flakes (optional)
Salt to taste
1. Wash the sweet potatoes, pierce their skin with a fork and microwave for 5-6 minutes at 800W.
2. In the meantime finely slice (or grate) the courgette and the red onion, sprinkle over some salt and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Scoop out the pulp of the sweet potato and mash it with a fork in a bowl.
4. Squeeze out the moisture from the veggies, then add them to the bowl with the sweet potato.
5. Combine the rest of the ingredients, mix well, better if you use your hands to squeeze the veggie mixture in order to let it absorb all the flavours.
6. Form the pakora patties then arrange in the air fryer basket slightly oiled.
7. Sprinkle some extra nigella seeds on top of the pakoras.
8. Cook at 180°C (350°F) for 8 minutes, flip over and cook for another 8 minutes.
9. Serve the air fried pakora with the dipping sauces and chutneys of your choice.
Try this Spicy Mango Chutney to serve these vegan pakoras with!