Fuss Free Courgette Baked Frittata | Vegan and Gluten Free
Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano.
You are all going to love how easy and delicious this vegan courgette (zucchini) baked frittata is. With just 103 calories per portion, this makes a perfect starter or side, or even a main meal to enjoy with some salad and a piece of bread.
Also, you are going to be amazed on how little effort is required to make this plant based baked frittata, that I’m sure is going to always have a place on your party menus.
Because, let’s face it. It is indeed the best food to share. One of those foods that one bite leads to another and at the end you won’t even feel guilty as it’s both light and simple.
This plant based baked frittata with courgettes is:
- gluten free
- low cal
- packed with nutrients
- perfect both warm or cold
It is also a pretty cheap dish to make, that makes it ideal for who are on low budget, as all you need at hand mainly would be:
– a bunch of courgettes – any variety really. I’ve been making this recipe for such a very long time and I’ve tried with different breeds of zucchini, such as yellow and round ones. The result is always spot on, you’ll see.
– some chickpea flour – that will work as binding agent and at the same time it will mimic the fluffy texture of an egg based frittata. Chickpea flour (or Besan, for our Indian friends) is such an amazing and versatile ingredient, that works incredibly well as egg substitute in most savoury recipes as in this gorgeous Tofu Parmesan, these Gluten Free Vegan Sausages or this tasty Artichoke Parmigiana. If you don’t have it yet in the pantry, make sure to grab a box next time you go to the shop 😉
– fresh mint & garlic– if you never tried the mint-courgette combination, believe me, you’re missing out! It’s so special and it has a pleasant fresh aftertaste, that makes it perfect for the sunny season. However, if you’re not a fan of mint and you don’t even want to give it a try, you can substitute it with any fresh or dried herb you like the most. I would highly recommend chives, parsley and basil for a fresh taste, or sage, thyme and/or oregano for a “roast-like”, homey feeling.
– corn flakes – (make sure they don’t contain animal ingredients upon purchasing) to coat the top and bottom courgette mixture and create the best solid base and a super crispy top. We only have to make sure to ground our corn flakes in a food processor to a bread crumb like texture, like we’ve done for these Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms.
How to make the perfect Courgette Baked Frittata
All we need to do is to shred the courgettes by hand or with a food processor (easy peasy if you have one), add a pinch of salt, stir it in and forget about it for a few minutes (up to 30).
This process will allow the courgette to lose their vegetation water, full of nutrients and goodness. Next INSTEAD of discarding it (like most recipes will suggest you to do) we’re going to keep it and use as the liquid for our batter.
So, after half an hour or so you’re going to be able to see a quite impressive amount of liquid at the bottom of the bowl with your courgettes.
Now what we need to do is to add the rest of the ingredients except the corn flakes and the olive oil (we will use those for our crunchy bottom and crust). Please bare in mind that the amount of chickpea flour is only suggested; it will vary depending on the amount of liquid that your courgettes have released. We want to add as much flour as we need to create a batter-like mixture, a texture that is not runny nor too firm, just a bit sticky.
Now it’s time to grab a baking tray, I would say around 20×30 for around 1 cm thick frittata (if you want the frittata to be thicker use a smaller tray, if you want it thinner bake it in a larger one), and coat the bottom with a drop of olive oil and a generous sprinkle of crushed corn flakes.
Pour the frittata mixture, level well with a spatula and finish with another generous spread of corn flakes, a handful of grated vegan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow the baked frittata to cool before serving. I adore it at room temperature or even fridge cold, but it is also amazing slightly warm.
Did you the recipe of this Courgette Baked Frittata? Make sure to leave me a comment and to SUBSCRIBE to the mail list to always be up to date with the brand new recipes I post on this blog 🙂
Also don’t forget to follow and support @avegtastefromatoz on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
Fuss Free Courgette Baked Frittata | Vegan and Gluten Free Recipe
1 kg Courgettes (Zucchini)
5 tbsp Chickpea Flour (Besan)
3 tbsp Crumbled Corn Flakes
40 g Vegan Grated Cheese
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Fresh Mint (chopped)
1/2 tsp Black Pepper (optional)
1. Shred the courgettes by hand or with a food processor. Add the sea salt, stir well and let it rest for up to 30.
2. Add the chickpea flour, the vegan cheese (keep a tablespoon for later), the mint, the garlic (grated) and the pepper. Mix well to a batter-like consistency. If needed add more chickpea flour.
3. Drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of a baking tray, spread well the oil and coat with a generous amount of ground corn flakes.
4. Gently pour the batter and level it well.
5. Sprinkle with another handful of corn flakes, the grated vegan cheese that we put aside and a drizzle of olive oil.
6. Bake in 200°C (390°F) preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Fuss Free Courgette Baked Frittata
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) Courgettes Zucchini
- 5 tbsp Chickpea Flour Besan
- 3 tbsp Crumbled Corn Flakes
- 40 g (3 tbsp) Vegan Grated Cheese
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Fresh Mint chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Black Pepper optional
- Shred the courgettes by hand or with a food processor. Add the sea salt, stir well and let it rest for up to 30.
- Add the chickpea flour, the vegan cheese (keep a tablespoon for later), the mint, the garlic (grated) and the pepper. Mix well to a batter-like consistency. If needed add more chickpea flour.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the bottom of a baking tray, spread well the oil and coat with a generous amount of ground corn flakes.
- Gently pour the batter and level it well.
- Sprinkle with another handful of corn flakes, the grated vegan cheese that we put aside and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in 200°C (390°F) preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Do not miss other scrumptious summery recipes:
– Burger Stuffed Zucchini | Vegan only 5 Ingredients
– Zucchine alla Scapece in the Air Fryer
– Zucchini and Sundried Tomato Savory Muffins
– Easy Tex-Mex Corn Salad
– Courgette and Potato Bake
– Tuscan Panzanella Bread Salad
– Cold Lentil Salad
– Tofu and Tomato Pasta
– Turkish Aubergines with Beans
– Italian Style Potato Salad