American Style Oat, Cranberry and Raisin Cookies
Have you ever had a cookie that just comforts you, that is not just exciting to eat, but actually makes you feel a warm sense of satisfaction?
I remember from my childhood having soft sweet cookies that I really enjoyed eating and they were made from a base of the simple oat grain.
A staple and rather modest ingredient.
I guess there are not too many rules here, they are a versatile grain that you could mix a variety of things with but for me dried cranberries and raisins for these American style oat cookies I reckon are just the best.
These cookies are:
soft in the middle
full of flavour
The cookie dough is made from only a bunch of easy to find ingredients, most of them I’m sure you already have in your pantry:
Plain Flour – We actually love them with a mix of wholemeal flour too, if you’d like to try of the 125 total grams I sometimes use 50 grams of wholemeal and 75 grams of plain flour. The result is nuttier and more rustic of which I personally am a fan of.
Rolled Oat – also known as old fashion oat. It will give the perfect texture to these cookies as well as working as a binder.
Dry Cranberries and Raisins – I’ve actually found a mix of the two in the shop which I think works marvellously for this recipe. If you have two separates mixes just use 50-50 of each, or just use the desired amount of each. You can also use only cranberry or raisin if you want, especially if you’re a fan of one and not to keen on the other. There are fixed rule here, as long as the total weight matches the amount of the recipe you’re good to go!
Vegan Butter – or margarine. It will help achieving the chewy texture we aim for with this recipe. We just need to blend it before adding it to the cookie mix.
Sugar – brown sugar or demerara is my absolute pick for these cookies as its moisture translates into an extra soft and chewy baked cookie.
Water – it develops a softer and melt-in-the mouth texture. You don’t want to omit this!
Baking Powder + Apple Cider Vinegar – perfect combo as rising agents for this plant based, hence eggless cookie recipe.
Salt -to help balancing the flavours. Your palate just loves the addition of the humble pinch of salt in sweet preparations. It won’t taste salty at all, but it will trigger the salty receptors of your taste buds for a complete tasting sensation.
Vanilla – …because a touch of vanilla makes everything better!
How to make the American Style Oat, Cranberry and Raisin Cookies
Making these super easy vegan oat, cranberry and raisin cookies is extremely simple.
All you need to do is add all the ingredients to a bowl, give a thorough mix, scoop the dough onto a baking tray and bake the cookies in the oven!
This recipe yields to around 12-14 cookies (depending on the size) and the cookies will last in an air-thigh container (better if it’s made of aluminium) up to one week.
What are you waiting for? Bake a batch of these cookies today!
…or PIN the recipe for later
American Style Oat Cookies with Cranberry and Raisin Recipe
125 g Rolled Oat
125 g All Purpose Flour (or 75 plain and 50 wholemeal)
120 g Vegan Butter (or margarine – melted)
110 g Brown Sugar
100 g Dry Cranberry and Raisin
30 ml Water (2 tbsp)
15 ml Apple Cider Vinegar (1 tbsp)
5 g Baking Powder (1 tsp)
Pinch of Salt
Vanilla Extract or Powder
1. Preheat the oven at 190°C (370°F).
2. Add all ingredients to a bowl.
3. Mix well until everything is incorporated and wet.
4. Scoop around 1 tablespoon of cookie dough on a baking tray leaving a couple of inches (5 cm) from each cookies.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes (less for chewier, more for firmer cookies).
6. Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving.
American Style Oat Cookies with Raisin and Cranberry
- 125 g (0.53 cups) Rolled Oat
- 125 g (1 cups) All Purpose Flour or 75 plain and 50 wholemeal
- 120 g (4.23 oz) Vegan Butter or margarine – melted
- 110 g (0.5 cups) Brown Sugar
- 100 g (3.53 oz) Dry Cranberry and Raisin
- 30 ml (2.03 tbsp) Water
- 15 ml (1.01 tbsp) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 g (1.01 tsp) Baking Powder
- pinch Salt
- Vanilla Extract or Powder
- Preheat the oven at 190°C (370°F).
- Add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix well until everything is incorporated and wet.
- Scoop around 1 tablespoon of cookie dough on a baking tray leaving a couple of inches (5 cm) from each cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (less for chewier, more for firmer cookies).
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving.