Brussels Sprouts and Leek Soup Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano.
This tasty and nutritious soup is made with Brussels sprouts and leek, with added potatoes and beans for creaminess.
Brussels sprouts: either you love or you hate them.
I don’t think there’s something in between when it comes to this vegetable.
For those who are in the “hate” half I must say that it’s a bit of a shame, because these little green friends are packed with loads of nutrients and vitamins.
They are in fact are among the most nutritious winter vegetables, along with other members of the “Brassicaceae” family which include cabbages, kale and mustard greens.
With only 43 calories per 100 grams (raw) they provide great amounts of vitamins K (necessary for blood clotting and bone health) and C (an antioxidant that helps promote iron absorption and is involved in tissue repair and immune function), 3 grams of dietary fiber, 2.3 grams of proteins and 7.2 gr of carbohydrates.
In addition to these nutrients, Brussels sprouts contain numerous cancer-fighting phytochemicals in the form of glucosinolates, that give this vegetable and cauliflower their characteristic bitter taste.
Last but not least it is right and proper to mention that Brussels sprouts are one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which make them a must-eat food for those on a plant-based diet.
This time I kept my recipe simple and pretty rustic.
This is a very tasty brussels sprouts and leek soup is mellow in taste.
One portion contains only 200 kcal of which 11.6 g of protein, 1.5 g of fat and 43.7 of carbohydrates, so we can consider this a perfect dish to stay fit or just light, maybe to have when we’re planning to have/or we have had a pizza or a very caloric meal during the day.
Brussels Sprouts and Leek Soup Recipe
400 ml Water
300 gr Brussels Sprouts
1/2 can Black Eyed Beans
20 gr Potato Flakes (or 1 Potato)
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
Cut the sprouts in half then gently sautée in a bit of olive oil until slightly caramelised. Set aside.
Roughly chop the leek and sautée it too in a pan with oil and garlic.
Add the beans and the sprouts back to the pan, season with smoked paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper, then cover with water.
Simmer until soft and tender (15-20 minutes).
Add the potato flakes, blend until smooth and serve warm with an extra drizzle of olive oil and some nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan.
Brussel Sprout and Leek Soup
- Cut the sprouts in half then gently sautée in a bit of olive oil until slightly caramelised. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the leek and sautée it too in a pan with oil and garlic.
- Add the beans and the sprouts back to the pan, season with smoked paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper, then cover with water. Simmer until soft and tender (15-20 minutes).
- Add the potato flakes, blend until smooth and serve warm with an extra drizzle of olive oil and some nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan.
Are you a fan of soups and cosy and hearty meals? Here’s some ideas for you:
– All Greens Soup
– Easy Vegan Tomato Soup with Cheesy White Sauce
– Vegan Mushroom Soba Ramen
– Thai Red Curry with Chickpeas
– Korean Tteokbokki with Peppers
– Best Beef (Jackfruit) Stroganoff
– British Dumpling Stew
– Dahl Makhani My Way
– Rich Miso Soup
– Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Mushroom “Bacon”
– No fuss Katsu Tofu with Japanese Curry