Funghi Gratinati – Mushrooms au Gratin
Oven baked goodness, Mushrooms au gratin (Funghi Gratinati) will have you tucking in before they make it to the table!
This simple and easy recipe uses oyster mushrooms, an easily available variety in Italy and cheap too. Sadly here in England they are not so wide spread and are much more expensive compared to other varieties.
I would recommend the best place to find them would be a local Asian store or market if your regular supermarket does not have them.
It is therefore important to make the most of the beautiful little fun guys once you get a hold of them and with this recipe it is a guaranteed hit.
If I could, I would have oyster mushrooms a lot more often and I know my husband would indeed agree.
I love this variety of mushrooms both for their versatility and for their delicate flavour. They can be used as simply a mushroom obviously, but with great preparation they can also be used as a great meat substitute.
If you are a mushroom lover too, don’t miss these wonderful recipes.
These are perfect to be enjoyed simply by themselves with basic seasoning or to accompany a main course.
A key for mushroom preparation of mushrooms consists in how they are cleaned.
Even if they are very dirty, it is important that they are NEVER washed in water. The simple reason for this is that they would absorb the water during washing and this would effect how they cook and they would be much less fragrant. Rather, I recommend using a brush or cloth to scrub away any dirt or sand.
Personally I love this ingredient so much and Funghi Gratinati is a recipe I literally grew up with. The aroma they release during cooking is one of anticipation, the smell fills the house and creates a warm earthy and cosy feeling. The meaty texture that these mushrooms have is wonderful with the crunchy and aromatic breading we will use to top them with.
A simple side dish, but full of taste and totally gorgeous.
Today I’m indeed sharing my mom’s recipe with you, because, let’s face it, some recipes are sacred and are already perfect.
So, if you want, thank mom Silvana for this treat in the comments!
Recipe for Funghi Gratinati – Mushrooms au Gratin
300 g Oyster Mushrooms
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
30 g Breadcrumbs
20 g Vegan Grated Cheese
1 Garlic Clove (grated)
1 Handful Fresh Parsley
1. Preheat the oven at 200°C (390°F).
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, grease with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Gently clean the mushrooms with a slightly dampened cloth, then place them on the tray with the smooth side on the bottom.
4. Season with salt and pepper, then equally distribute the minced garlic, breadcrumbs and, lastly, the grated vegan cheese.
5. Drizzle with about another tablespoon of olive oil and bake at fan assisted mode for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Funghi Gratinati - Mushrooms au Gratin
- Preheat the oven at 200°C (390°F).
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, grease with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a slightly dampened cloth, then place them on the tray with the smooth side on the bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper, then equally distribute the minced garlic, breadcrumbs and, lastly, the grated vegan cheese.
- Drizzle with about another tablespoon of olive oil and bake at fan assisted mode for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature.