Vegan aubergine (eggplant) parmigiana Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
Aubergine parmigiana, a classic from South Italy and indeed one of my absolute favourite dishes. Here is how to make it vegan!
Southern Italian recipe today in a complete vegan way. Definitely my favourite dish ever: Parmigiana di Melanzane (Vegan Aubergine/Eggplant Parmigiana).
Nowadays with all plant based alternatives available one can easily replicate any desired dish.
I personally was craving for this one in particular until I’ve finally found my “cheeses combo”: one that substitutes the Mozzarella and the other one instead of the dairy Parmesan.
And to be fair, even if I’ve never been a fan of Mortadella, an Italian cold cut made with pork and tons of fat (sounds disgusting, I know), which is included in some of the countless versions of this dish, I’ve decided to add some vegan ham for a richer kick. Though believe me, even without any “cheese” and “ham” this dish is deliciously mouthwatering!
I mean: look at that! I think that the picture speaks itself!!!
Vegan Aubergine Parmigiana Recipe
Ingredients (4 servings):
2 Aubergines (Eggplants)
500 g Tomato Passata
300 g Plant Based Milk or Water (Oat)
100 g Chickpea Flour (Besan)
50 g Corn Flour
50-70 g Vegan Mozzarella (or your favourite store bought)
6/8 Slices Vegan Ham
5 Leaves Basil
Vegetable Oil (to deep fry)
1 pinch Black Salt (for an eggy flavour)
1 pinch Turmeric
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1. In a wide pan pour at least 3 inches of vegetable oil and set medium heat.
2. For the batter: In a bowl combine milk, chickpea flour, corn flour, a pinch of turmeric and black salt. Blend (or hand whisk) until smooth.
3. Cut aubergines into disks about 1/2 inch thick.
Coat each disk in the batter
and deep fry until golden brown (for around a couple of minutes each side).
5. For the tomato sauce: In a microwave friendly bowl combine passata, salt, pepper, garlic and onion granules and basil leaves. Microwave for 5 minutes at 800W.
Followed by a layer of fried aubergines.
More tomato sauce…
…and a layer of ham and cheese.
7. Repeat until you use up all the aubergine.
8. Then a final layer of tomato sauce and a generous sprinkle of vegan parmesan.
9. Bake at 180° C for 20-30 minutes.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Vegan Aubergine Parmigiana
- 2 Aubergines Eggplants
- 500 g (3.36 cups) Tomato Passata
- 300 g (1.23 cups) Plant Based Milk or Water Oat
- 100 g (3.53 oz) Chickpea Flour Besan
- 50 g (1.76 oz) Corn Flour
- 50-70 g (1.76 oz) Vegan Mozzarella or your favourite store bought
- 6/8 Slices Vegan Ham optional
- 5 Leaves Basil
- Vegetable Oil to deep fry
- 1 pinch Black Salt for an eggy flavour
- 1 pinch Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Onion Powder
- In a wide pan pour at least 3 inches of vegetable oil and set medium heat.
- For the batter: In a bowl combine milk, chickpea flour, corn flour, a pinch of turmeric and black salt. Blend (or hand whisk) until smooth.
- Cut aubergines into disks about 1/2 inch thick.
- Coat each disk in the batter and deep fry until golden brown (for around a couple of minutes each side).
- For the tomato sauce: In a microwave friendly bowl combine passata, salt, pepper, garlic and onion granules and basil leaves. Microwave for 5 minutes at 800W.
- Assemble: In a tray spread a layer of tomato sauce on the botton; add a layer of fried aubergines/eggplant.
- Cover with more tomato sauce, follower by a layer of vegan ham and mozzarella or grated cheese (or both!).
- Repeat until you use up all the aubergine.
- Cover with a final layer of tomato sauce and a generous sprinkle of vegan parmesan.
- Bake at 180° C for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you do, take a look to this mouthwatering Easy Tofu Parmesan as well as this lighter version of Stuffed Parmesan Aubergines. If you want to try something different take a look also at this Artichoke Parmigiana (also GF) and at this version with Courgettes/Zucchini.
To support me, I’d appreciate as little as a simple like and a share on Facebook and a follow on Instagram @avegtastefromatoz.
Thank all of you that will take the time to visit my social pages!
marvellous…😜👊 bellissima! Complimenti 😉👌
Grazie di cuore, sei gentilissimo! 🌼
Ti invito a provarla, è davvero gustosa 👍
Non mancheró… e ti daró un riscontro😉👌