Southern Italian recipe today in a complete vegan way. Definetly my favourite dish ever: Parmigiana di Melanzane (Vegan Aubergine/Eggplant Parmigiana).
Nowadays with all plant based alternatives available one can easily replicate any desired dish.
I personally was craving for this one in particular until I’ve finally found my “cheeses combo”: one that substitutes the Mozzarella and the other one instead of the dairy Parmesan.
And to be fair, even if I’ve never been a fan of Mortadella, an Italian cold cut made with pork and tons of fat (sounds disgusting, I know), which is included in some of the countless versions of this dish, I’ve decided to add some vegan ham for a richer kick. Though believe me, even without any “cheese” and “ham” this dish is deliciously mouthwatering!
I mean: look at that! I think that the picture speaks itself!!!
Vegan Aubergine Parmigiana Recipe
Ingredients (4 servings):
500 ml Tomato Passata
300 gr Plant Based Milk or Water (Oat)
100 gr Chickpea Flour
50 gr Corn Flour
50-70 gr Vegan Mozzarella (your favourite, really)
6/8 Slices Vegan Ham
5 Leaves Basil
Black Salt (for an eggy flavour)
1. In a wide pan pour at least 3 inches of vegatable oil and set medium heat.
2. For the batter: In a bowl combine milk, chickpea flour, corn flour, a pinch of tumeric and black salt. Blend (or hand whisk) until smooth.
3. Cut aubergines into disks about 1/2 inch thick.
Coat each disk in the batter
and deep fry until golden brown (for around a couple of minutes each side).
5. For the tomato sauce: In a microwave friendly bowl combine passata, salt, pepper, garlic&onion granules and basil leaves. Microwave for 5 minutes at 800W.
Followed by a layer of fried aubergines.
More tomato sauce…
…and a layer of ham and cheese.
7. Repeat until you use up all the aubergine.
8. Then a final layer of tomato sauce and a generous sprinkle of vegan parmesan.
9. Bake at 180° C for 20-30 minutes.
Best served warmed.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you do, take a look to this mouthwatering Easy Tofu Parmesan!