Vegan Garlic Mushrooms with Air Fryer Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
These low cal, easy, crispy and fragrant vegan garlic mushrooms are the perfect finger food to make in the air fryer.
One of the things I used to get frequently from the frozen section in the shops when I still was a vegetarian were indeed garlic mushrooms.
Unfortunately most store bought ones can be made with non vegan friendly ingredients, such as milk powder or eggs.
Before turning vegan I have never thought about making my own batch of garlic mushrooms, and I must say that the entire process is really really easy and straightforward.
Ok, it’s not as straightforward of opening a pack and pour the content straight on a baking tray, but hey, this homemade way is also: cheaper, plant based and healthier!
Honestly to me it’s a win-win situation, and I’m pretty sure many of you will agree with me after trying these crispy little mushroom goodies.
It’s also no secret now that I absolutely LOVE using my air fryer.
You can make such many, lovely things with it from healthy “fried” food to cakes and baked goods.
So if you you think air fryers are only good to avoid the fats and the extra calories of deep frying food, you have to think again!
They are my best alley during hot summer days, as they do not heat as a traditional oven would do, and in general to cut down the cooking times of my baking.
Since many of you have asked me on Facebook and Instagram which air fryer I would suggest, I thought I’d also spend some words about the air fryer I’m currently using.
I currently have this Touch Screen Cosori Air Fryer. I’ve got the XL which is 5.8 Liters which is way bigger than the one I was using before, and it also fits most of my trays when I want to bake a cake or anything.
It also has a reminder to shake the food in between cooking, which is very handy and it also can be turned off.
It’s dead easy to clean. I put it straight to the washing machine most of the time, otherwise when I’ve got some food stuck to it, I simply soak the basked in soapy water for a while, and scrub it off with a sponge before hand washing it or put it in the washer.
Last but not least, this baby is pretty cheap. It’s around 80£ (110$) and believe me, it is worthy every single penny, I highly recommend it if you are thinking on buying one, you’ll be amazed!
Check out some of the other recipes I have posted that use or can be made in the air fryer:
– Air Fried Sweet Potato Falafels
– Vegan Pakora in the Air Fryer
– Easy Oyster Mushrooms (Just like Chicken Wings!)
– Banana Blossom “Fish” Cakes
– Crispy Sesame Tofu of This Vegan Thai Green Curry
– Courgette and Potato Cakes
And guess what..For these easy plant based garlic button mushrooms I have indeed used the air fryer!
It’s a recipe that takes so few easy steps and delivers lot of flavour and satisfaction, let’s see how 🙂
How to make Vegan Garlic Mushrooms
First thing we have to worry about is to find the perfect mushrooms for the recipe.
I find that white or brown button mushrooms work ideally for the task.
They are largely available in any grocery store and they look like a baby version of the Champignon or Closed Cup mushrooms.
Next we will need:
– some plant based milk – I used soy, but you can pick any type of unsweetened vegan milk you like or have available;
– a mix of rice and all purpose flour – Or only one of the two. I find this mixture delivers a better texture, but if you don’t have rice flour or you need this recipe to be gluten free, only use the one you have or prefer;
– a couple of garlic cloves – they won’t be garlic mushrooms without 🙂
– a bunch of fresh parsley – for a fresh touch. Dried parsley can be used as well. If you don’t have it or don’t want to use it, it is completely fine to omit it;
– bread crumbs (or ground corn flakes for GF version) – to coat the mushrooms with;
– salt and pepper to taste.
Step one – Preparing the batter
In a blender cup combine plant based milk, flours, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Step two – Coat the mushrooms
Transfer the batter in a large bowl then add the parsley and mix well. Add the button mushrooms, carefully cleaned with a damp cloth, and coat well in the batter with a spatula.
Step three – Bread the mushrooms
Now coat each mushroom in bread crumbs and place them straight into the air fryer basket, making sure not to overlap the mushrooms.
Step four – Bake the mushrooms
Evenly spray with some vegetable oil the mushrooms (you can omit this step for oil free cooking) and air fry for 15 minutes in total. Halfway through give the garlic mushrooms a little shake, spray with some extra oil and bake for the remaining 7-8 minutes.
Step five – Enjoy Vegan Garlic Mushrooms
Serve the vegan garlic mushrooms immediately with a pinch of sea salt and some more fresh parsley if you like.
You can also reheat the garlic mushrooms in the air fryer for a couple of minutes if they’ve gone cold.
You can prepare a batch to keep in the freezer to have some homemade garlic mushrooms anytime you like! To do so simply follow all the steps until the middle shake halfway the cooking time. This is when you want to stop. Allow the garlic mushrooms to cool completely, spray with vegetable oil, then transfer in plastic bag suitable for home freezing. To cook you homemade vegan garlic mushrooms from frozen simply arrange them on the air fryer basket and cook at 180°C (360°F) for 10-12 minutes, shaking the basket half way.
Vegan Garlic Mushrooms with Air Fryer Recipe
2 cups Button Mushrooms (200g)
1/3 cup Breadcrumbs (or Corn Flakes – 30g)
…for the batter…
1/3 cup Soy Milk (90g)
1/4 cup Rice Flour (35g)
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour (35g)
2 tbsp Fresh Parsley (7-8g – chopped)
2-3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1. In a blender cup combine plant based milk, flours, garlic, salt & pepper, and blend until smooth.
2. Transfer the batter in a large bowl then add the parsley and mix well.
3. Add the button mushrooms, carefully cleaned with a damp cloth, and coat well in the batter with a spatula.
4. Coat each mushroom in bread crumbs and place them straight into the air fryer basket, making sure not to overlap the mushrooms.
5. Evenly spray with some vegetable oil the mushrooms (you can omit this step for oil free cooking)
6. Air fry for 15 minutes at 180°C (360°F). Halfway through give a little shake, then spray the mushrooms with some extra oil and bake for the remaining 7-8 minutes.
7. Serve the vegan garlic mushrooms immediately with a pinch of sea salt and some more fresh parsley and pepper if you like.
with love, Adriana.