Vegan Ratatouille Pizza Bites
These easy vegan Ratatouille pizza bites are the perfect party food for summer gatherings.
Fun to make, these delicious pizza roll ups with a scrumptious ratatouille filling are ready in less than 1 hour and will definitely make you go for seconds!
Make sure to bake plenty then!
How to make Vegan Ratatouille Pizza Bites
For these bites, that can be considered like a Italo-French fusion dish, what we need to have at hand are indeed the basic ingredients for pizza, aka pizza dough, tomato sauce and mozzarella, and those that make the mouthwatering French Ratatouille that are: courgettes, aubergines, peppers, onion and tomato.
We are going to prepare these roll ups by cutting our pizza dough into a 4 centimetres thick stripes, spread over a pepper and herbes de Provence flavoured red sauce, and topped with thin slices of aubergines and courgettes, and a sprinkle of grated vegan mozzarella.
You can definitely use store bought rolled pizza dough, however in the video I’ve recorded I had to use a homemade pizza dough as there was none in the shops.
If you prefer making your own pizza dough I’ll leave you the recipe I have used for the video.
I prepared mine using: 250 g plain flour, 3 grams instant yeast, 5 grams of sea salt and 240 ml of lukewarm water. Mix it all together, work for 10 minutes and leave prove for 1:30 hour, or until it doubles the size.
This dosage yields 8 pizza bites, so keep that in mind if making your own dough as you might want to double up the amount.
Once the pizza rolls are formed we can bake in a 200°C (390°F) preheated oven for 30 minutes in total.
To give them the nice flower-like look I baked the rolls into a muffin tray for 20 minutes, removed the bites from the mould and baked for another 10 minutes.
Since I’ve used a silicon mould I didn’t oil the tray before placing the rolls. If you are using an aluminium or ceramic one please do oil the tray or use some baking paper.
If you don’t have a muffin tray you can use ramekins instead. Just remember to add some oil to the ramekin to prevent the rolls sticking to it.
These delicious and super easy vegan Ratatouille pizza bites can be enjoyed both hot or warm. They are a perfect treat to pair with the leftover tomato sauce! Alternatively feel free to use your favourite sauce 🙂
Vegan Ratatouille Pizza Bites Recipe
1 Pizza Dough Roll
1 Can Chopped Tomatoes
2-3 tbsp Vegan Mozzarella (grated)
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Herbes de Provence
Pinch Chili Flakes (Optional)
1. In a pan heat up the olive oil, add the onion (finely chopped) and cook until translucent (5 minutes).
2. Add roughly chopped pepper and cook until soft (15 minutes).
3. Add chopped tomatoes, herbes de Provence and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on medium heat for another 15 minutes.
4. Once the sauce is ready blend it until smooth.
5. Unroll the pizza dough and cut 4 cm thick slices (you should get around 8 to 10 slices in total).
6. Alternate on each stripe finely cut slices of courgette and aubergine.
7. Sprinkle some vegan mozzarella and roll up each stripe lengthwise.
8. Arrange the rolls into the cavities of a muffin tray or oiled ramekins.
9. Bake at 200°C (390°F) for 20 minutes. Remove the rolls from the tray and cook for another 10 minutes.
10. Enjoy warm and serve with the leftover tomato and pepper sauce.