Orange and Chocolate = an irresistable classic combination.
From cakes to pannacotta, it’s always a good idea. I even made our wedding cake chocolate and orange flavoured.
So, how about brownies? Who doens’t love a gooey, chocolatey, decandent and indulgent brownie?
Keys ingredients to achieve the typical melt-in-the-mouth brownie texture are insanely high contents of fat (typically butter and cocoa butter).
This often puts lots of people off, especially those that are following a very strict diet, or who is trying to eat healthier.
And there, of course are also people that don’t give a ship and still decide to indulge in such a pleasure.
Well, either cathegory you fall into, I’m here today to present you a brownie recipe that still thicks all the boxes:
and that is – *wait for it*
both Vegan, Gluten & Oil-Free!
You don’t believe what you’ve just read? I know, it does sound too good to be true, doesn’t it?
But wait to try these magic brownies to immediately change your mind and your believes, hehe!
In fact, I assure you that, if you were to order these brownies to any shop, you would be there double/triple checking all the ingredients and still don’t believe your eyes!
The funny thing of making these orange and chocolate gluten-free and oil-free vegan brownies is that you will know EXACTLY what’s in there!
What is the secret of these Oil-Free Orange & Chocolate Brownies?
In the plant universe there are a lot of fruit and veggies that can be used to create stunning and moist cakes both sweet and savory.
And there’s one fruit, rich of nutrients and good fat that I like to use in bakery, and this would be the Avocado.
Loaded with fibers, avocado is an amazing fruit that we should consume on a regular basis.
Only 100 g of fresh, mature avocado contains more potassium than bananas, plenty of vitamins, 2 grams of proteins and 160 kcal.
Avocado is one of the fruits that contain high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids (oleic acid), that is exactly what makes it a perfect substitute of oil/butter in this recipe.
You only need to make sure you purchase really ripe and mushy avocados, that are still green though, not brown.
How to tell an Avocado is perfectly ripe.
There are a few tricks for you to use while purchasing avocados.
The first one is to gently squeeze it in our hand to check how firm the pulp is.
The pulp doen’t have to be too firm or too mushy, just a bit soft.
The second trick is to look under the stem:
- if the stem comes out easily and it’s bright green underneath, happy days! you’ve found a perfectly cramy and green avocado, ready to be eaten!
- if the stem comes out and it’s brown the avocado would be overripe and it will very luckely present brown spots on its flesh.
- if the stem doesn’t come out or it’s hard to remove, the avocado is not ready yet.
Although this is the best way to tell if the avocado is ready to be used, please DO NOT remove the stems in shops if the avocados are not ripe yet.
How to Make these Orange & Chocolate Brownies
Making this brownies is very easy, super quick and straightforward.
All you’ll require is to preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F) and a food processor.
First step is to blend the avocados with some orange juice, plantbased milk, brown sugar, maple syrup and a few drops of orange extract for an extra zing (optional) and some vanilla extract, until creamy and smooth.
Then gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and a pinch of pink salt go in for us to blend again.
Finally we add the chocolate chips and some orange zest, we give the mixture a final stir and we transfer it to a 20x20cm (8x8in) tray.
Next let’s sprinkle some chocolate chips on top and bake the brownies for 17 minutes.
Our delicious oil-free brownies are ready to be eaten!
Allow them to cool for at least 20 minutes (I know, the temptation will be too much!) for better enjoy them!
Did you like this recipe?
Let me know with a comment in the section below and if you’d like to receive updates when a new recipe is posted simply insert your e-mail address in the “Follow Blog via Email” section you find in the side bar (if you’re reading this on your computer or tablet) or at the end of this post (if you are on your mobile phone).
Now I’ll leave you with the dosage and the nutrition facts of these brownies!
See you soon!
Oil-Free Orange & Chocolate Brownies Recipe
1 cup Gluten Free Flour Mix
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 Organic Orange (zest and juice)
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
1/2 cup Plantbased Milk (Soy)
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/3 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (70 gr)
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Orange Extract
1/2 tsp Pink Salt
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C (350°F).
2. Cut the avocados into cubes and add to a food processer bowl along with: sugar, orange juice, plantbased milk, syrup, orange and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and creamy.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips and the orange zest. Blend until the mixture is smooth and without lumps.
4. Add 60 gr of chocolate chips and the zest of 1 orange (grated). Stir in with a spatula.
5. Tranfer to a 20×20 cm (8x8in) no-stick pan coated with baking paper.
6. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top and bake for 17 minutes for a gooey melt-in-the-mouth texture, for 20 minutes if you prefer drier and firmer brownies.
7. Allow to cool completely then slice the brownie into 9 squares.