Fudgy Chocolate & Sweet Potato Cake Loaf Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano.
This Chocolate & Sweet Potato cake loaf is fudgy, rich, dense, moreish, scrumptious, with a melt-in-the mouth texture.
I was meaning to bake a sweet potato cake with indulgent chocolate for such a long time.
Using an healthy ingredient as sweet potato in dessert is such a clever idea as not only do they improve the nutrition intake, but they also work as a perfect egg substitute in vegan bakery, as well as providing extra moisture and richness.
I understand many of you can be a little skeptical at the idea of using such a typical ingredient for savoury recipe in a sweet preparation, my husband was indeed not sure too… until his first bite into this cake!
Remember carrot cake too is a traditional and well loved cake that utilizes another wonderful vegetable.
I mean, I mean how can you not love this?
This plantbased chocolate paradise is:
with a melt-in-the mouth texure that I’m sure you’ll love!
Speaking of texture, it reminds of a very rich chocolate brownie.
If you give this cake to anyone I assure you they won’t even remotely think that sweet potatoes are a key ingredient.
In fact, I’m currently having lots of workers in our new house for our big renovation project, and when I baked this treat the other day they all absolutely loved it. The best bit was looking at their stunned faces when I told them it was indeed both vegan and contains sweet potatoes!
They said you absolutely cannot tell, even thinking at first I was pulling their legs, and they even asked for the recipe so they can amaze their wives and kids too.
An absolute success, isn’t it?
Now it’s your turn to try and if you do or you need some extra advice on the recipe, please let me know with a comment 🙂
Fudgy Chocolate & Sweet Potato Cake Recipe
200 gr Sweet Potato
170 gr All Purpose Flour
120 gr Brown Sugar
100 gr Dark Chocolate
70 gr Vegan Butter
60 gr Dark Chocolate Chips
2 tbsp Agave Syrup
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 pinch Sea Salt
1. Peel the sweet potato and boil until soft.
2. Preheat the oven at 170°C (340°F).
3. In a large bowl mash the sweet potato with a fork, combine the sugar, the agave syrup, the vanilla extract and the apple cider vineagar.
4. Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or at baine marie. Stir in the vegan butter until melted.
5. Pour the chocolate and butter mixture over the mash potato and sugar, add a pinch of salt and mix until well combined.
6. Sift in all powdered ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
7. Pour the mixture into a bread loaf tin (buttered or coated with baking paper).
8. Sprinkle the dark chocolate chips on top.
9. Bake for 45 minutes or until wooden skewer comes out of the loaf dry.
10. Allow to cool at room temperature and enjoy!
If this sweet potato & chocolate cake loaf survives, it is even better the day after.
It can be stored at room temperature up to 3 days into an airtight container, and for an extra couple of days in the fridge.
Or you can store it in the fridge for max 1 week (but I’m sure it won’t last that long!).
Fudgy Chocolate & Sweet Potato Cake Loaf
- 200 g (1.5 cups) Sweet Potato
- 170 g (1.36 cups) All Purpose Flour
- 120 g (4.23 oz) Brown Sugar
- 100 g (3.53 oz) Dark Chocolate
- 70 g (2.47 oz) Vegan Butter
- 60 g (2.12 oz) Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Baking Soda
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- Peel the sweet potato and boil until soft.
- Preheat the oven at 170°C (340°F).
- In a large bowl mash the sweet potato with a fork, combine the sugar, the agave syrup, the vanilla extract and the apple cider vinegar.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or at baine marie. Stir in the vegan butter until melted.
- Pour the chocolate and butter mixture over the mash potato and sugar, add a pinch of salt and mix until well combined.
- Sift in all powdered ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Pour the mixture into a bread loaf tin (buttered or coated with baking paper).
- Sprinkle the dark chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until wooden skewer comes out of the loaf dry.
- Allow to cool at room temperature and enjoy!
Sweet tooth? I got you covered with these amazing recipes:
– 2 Ingredients Persimmon Pudding
– Easy Lemon Pound Cake
– Vegan Black Forest Cake
– Easy Vegan Tiramisù
– Deliciously Moist Rhubarb Sponge
– Brioche Swirl Cake
– Heart shaped Mini Cakes
– Carrot Cake with a Twist
– Fudgy Chocolate & Sweet Potato Cake Loaf
– Indulgent Chocolate & Raspberry Mousse
– Best Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding
– Amaretto & Rhubarb Crumble
– Banoffee Pie
– Chocolate & Almond Fudge
– Chocolate Brownie Cake with Raspberries and Peanut Butter
– Cinnamon and Apple Crust Pie
– Raw Strawberry Tart
–Rhubarb Baked Cheesecake
– Zesty Lemon Cake
– Raspberry & Rhubarb Panna Cotta