Vegan shortcrust pastry Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
Ideal for pies, tarts or quiches, both savoury or sweet, shortcrust pastry is one of the basic recipies that everyone should know how to do.
Today we are going to learn how to make a 100% vegan alternative with only 3 simple ingredients, that will allow you to save a lots of money!
Some people might be discouraged to get their hands in the dough because they don’t think they’re good cooks or just because they think it requires tons of time to get it done, but I assure you that making our own pastry is really an easy-peasy job that will really surprise you!
How to make vegan shortcrust pastry
As mentioned before to make our own vegan shortcrust pastry we will only need as little as 3 ingredients.
They would be:
– plain flour
– vegan butter
– cold water
To form the dough we can follow two methods: by hand or with a food processor.
If using hands we first need to work in a large bowl the butter and the flour together, until it starts resembling coarse breadcrumbs. Now it’s time to start pouring as much cold water as necessary to make the dough come together.
Wrap the dough in clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before using.
If using a food processor we will need to place again the flour and the butter first, then pulse until combined into coarse breadcrumbs texture. Pour the cold water from the funnel while the blender is running just up to the point the dough comes together (I advise to do that a small amount at a time to avoid ending up with a dough that is too wet).
As per the hand method we need to wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes prior to use.
Our vegan shortcrust pastry is now done and ready to use!
I hope you’ll find this post useful and that you’ll enjoy making your own pastry for your creations 🙂
Vegan Shortcrust Pastry Recipe
200 g All Purpose Flour
100 g Vegan Butter
6 tbsp Cold Water (roughly)
1 pinch of Sea Salt
1. Work the flour, the salt and the vegan butter with your hands or using a food processor until it reaches a coarse breadcrumbs texture.
2. Slowly add as much cold water as required to bind the dough together.
3. Form a ball, wrap in film and chill for at least 15 minutes before use.
Vegan Shortcrust Pastry
- 250 g (2 cups) All Purpose Flour
- 100 g (3.53 oz) Vegan Butter
- 6 tbsp Cold Water roughly
- 1 pinch of Sea Salt
- Work the flour, the salt and the vegan butter with by hands or using a food processor until reaching a coarse breadcrumbs texture.
- Slowly add as much cold water as required to bind the dough together.
- Form a ball, wrap in film and chill for at least 15 minutes before use.
You can use this base for pies, quiches and tarts, like these:
– Vegan Quiche Lorraine
– Mushroom & Shallot Pies
– Vegan Banoffee Pie
– Vegan Cheese, Leek and Spinach Pie
– Cinnamon and Apple Crust Pie
Which of the flour measurements works 200g or 250g?
It’s 250 as you read in the recipe box, I’ll correct the post. Thanks