Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Questa ricetta è disponibile anche in italiano
Soft, cheesy and scrumptious, cauliflower cheese is one comforting addition to a Sunday roast or to any main. Here for you my 100% vegan version of this ultimate comfort food.
Whether you serve it as a main course on your lunch or dinner table, or as a side dish, Cauliflower Cheese or Cauliflower Cheese Bake is a staple of the British foods.
Super simple to put together, this dish is the perfect comfort food side to add to your weekly roast dinner or even as a part of a bigger spread on occasions like Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter.
Also why not serve it as a main, with a side of steamed veggies and gravy, for a cheesy mid-week cuddle.
The vegan version that I put together, is really dead easy to make and it’s also gluten free.
I like to put some roughly ground corn flakes on top of the pot for extra crunch, but that’s completely up to your taste.
I simply steam the cauliflower florets until “al dente”, place them in a oven proof pot (I like using these terracotta ones) and cover with a cheesy sauce, inspired by the recipe of my vegan mozzarella that lots of you have loved.
There’s no need to cook and thicken the sauce prior to bake, as it will thicken up in the oven whilst finish cooking the cauliflower. That’s the reason why I leave my florets with still a bit of a crunch, however if you like your cauliflower to be really soft and melt-in-the-mouth you can steam it for longer, there’s no rule, only our palate preferences 🙂
You can enrich the dish with vegan grated mozzarella or cheddar style cheese, vegan parmesan or even vegan stilton or blue cheese for a bit more character.
And if you really want to take this humble side to the next level, you can also top it with crispy vegan bacon bits, simply pan fried for a few minutes.
I’m giving you a white canvas, a recipe that we simply adore for its versatility and taste, and it’s completely up to you whether you want to keep it simple and traditional, or spice it up with your personal flare.
I really hope you enjoy it.
Vegan Cauliflower “Cheese” Recipe
1 Cauliflower (800-1000g)
1/3 cup Corn Flakes (vegan; ground)
…for the sauce…
500 g Soy Milk
50 g Tapioca
1.5 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1.5 tsp White Miso (or fermented tofu; optional)
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Celery Salt
1. Break the cauliflower head into regular size florets.
2. Steam the florets for 10-15 minutes, according to your personal taste.
3. Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a blender bowl and process until smooth.
4. Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a oven proof dish, forming one layer.
5. Pour over the white sauce, making sure to evenly coat each floret.
6. Top with a thin layer of ground corn flakes, and spray over some vegetable oil.
7. Bake at 200°C (390° F) for 30-40 minutes and serve.
Vegan Cauliflower "Cheese"
- Break the cauliflower head into regular size florets.
- Steam the florets for 10-15 minutes, according to your personal taste.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a blender bowl and process until smooth.
- Transfer the steamed cauliflower to a oven proof dish, forming one layer.
- Pour over the white sauce, making sure to evenly coat each floret.
- Top with a thin layer of ground corn flakes, and spray over some vegetable oil.
- Bake at 200°C (390° F) for 30-40 minutes and serve.
If you’re looking for other inspirational vegan dishes with this versatile ingredient, also check:
– Vegan Cauliflower Hot “Wings”
– No oil Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo
– Roasted Cauliflower Wellington
– Kung Pao Cauliflower
– Cauliflower and Leek Curry
– Creamy Cauliflower and Mushroom Pasta